Bima Arya Sugiarto
Place and Date of Birth
Bogor 17 December 1972
Lecturer and researcher, Department of International Relations, Paramadina University Jakarta
Executive Director, the Lead Institute, Paramadina University.
Office Address & Telephone
Gatot Subroto Kav 96-97, Mampang Jakarta 12700.
T +62 21 79181188
F +62 21 7993375
Home Address & Telephone
Baranangsiang Indah H:2 no 6 Bogor, Jawa Barat.
Field of Study
Bachelor of Arts
Parahyangan University, Bandung
Indonesian Foreign Policy towards the Settlement of Disputes in South China Sea
Master of Arts
Monash University, Melbourne
The 1998 Student Movement in Indonesia
Doctor of Philosophy
Political Science & International Relations
The Australian National University, Canberra
Beyond Formal Politics: Party Factionalism, Leadership & Democratization in Post Authoritarian Indonesia
· Introduction to Politics: the basic concept in politics, political parties, governmental system, election system etc.
· Theories of Political Development: political development issues in new democracies.
· Theories of Politics: the classical thought of politics, a contemporary world political ideology, etc.
· Indonesian Political System: political institution in Indonesia, political parties, military in Indonesian politics and the development of democracy in Indonesia.
· Political Communication: Political communication theories and trends, political socialization, new media and politics, election and political campaigning
· Political Sociology: a sociological perspective of political activities.
· Negotiation and Conflict Resolution: Conflicts behavior, theories of conflict resolution, the skill of negotiators.
· Diplomacy: The history of diplomacy in International relations, Indonesian diplomacy, domestic politics and diplomacy.
1998-2001 Lecturer and Researcher at the Department of International Relations Department, Parahyangan University Bandung.
1998-2001 Researcher at PACIS (Parahyangan Center for International Studies).
1998-2001 Part time lecturer at Maranatha University Bandung
2001 Lecturer and Researcher at Department of International Relations Paramadina University Jakarta.
2001-2002 Editor, Jurnal Paramadina University.
2001-2002 Asistant to Deputy Rector for Student Affairs, Paramadina University.
2001 Associate Researcher CPPS Paramadina (Center for Presidential and Parliamentary Studies)
2004 Research Fellow at Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) Jakarta.
2004-2006 Research Assistant, Department of Political and Social Change, The Research School for Pacific and Asian Studies, The Australian National University.
Juli 2007, Visiting Fellow at Department of Social and Political Change, Australian National University .
2006- Executive Director the Lead Institute, Universitas Paramadina.
Consultant, Partnership for Governance Reform (Kemitraan). September 2007-November 2007).
1992-1993 Vice President, The Association of International Relations Student, Parahyangan University Bandung
1993, Chairman of Student Senate, Faculty of Social and Political Science, Parahyangan University
1993 Delegation to the National Convention of International Relations Students, Jayabaya University, Jakarta.
1993 Member of Working Group of FKMHII (Indonesian International Relations Students Forum / Forum Komunikasi Mahasiswa Hubungan Internasional se Indonesia)
1994 Chairman of International Relations Expo Committee, Bandung
1994 Delegation to the National Convention of International Relations Students, Jember University.
1995 Chairman of the Organizing Commitee, The VII National Congress of Indonesian International Relations Students, Bandung.
1997-1998 Research and Development Department, Indonesian Student Association of Australia (PPIA) branch Monash University.
1998 Spoke Person of Komite Mahasiswa Victoria Untuk Reformasi.
1999-2001 Director of SMART (Solidaritas Masyarakat Anti Narkotika, People Solidarity for Anti Drugs Campaign) Bandung.
2002-2004 President of Indonesian Student Association (PPI) of Australia.
2004-2006 Board of Advisor, PPI Australia
· “Auditing Democracy”, in a seminar organized by Faculty of Social and Political Science, Parahyangan University, November 1999.
· “Updating Political Issues Approaching 1999 election”, in a public discussion organized by Partai Amanat Nasional, Bandung 1999.
· ‘Kaum Muda dan Problem Sosial”, in a seminar organized by Muhamadiyah Students Association, Bandung March 2000.
· “Indonesia at the Crossroads: Separatism, Nationalism and Disintegration” in, a seminar organized by Unit for Society Studies (USIK), Bandung 1999.
· “Global Dimension of Local Conflict in Indonesia”,in a seminar organized by KSMPMI Bandung 2000.
· “Building a Strong Local Civil Society “ in a seminar organized by PACIS, Bandung 2000.
· “Menata Ulang Lembaga Kepresidenan”in a seminar organized by CPPS (Centre for Presidential and Parliamentary Studies Paramadina, Medan October 2001.
· ”Prinsip-Prinsip Lembaga Kepresidenan Republik Indonesia” in a seminar organized by CPPS Paramadina and Partnership for Governance Reform, 30 January 2002.
· “Menuju Institusionalisasi Politik”, in a seminar oraganized by CPPS Paramadina & Partnership for Governance Reform, January 2002.
· “Islam VS West: Discourse or Reality ?, in a seminar organized by KSMPMI Bandung, May 2002
· “Kaum Muda dan Pemilu 2004”, in a seminar organized by, KNPI Padang, Sumatera Barat, January 2004
· “Prediksi Hasil Pemilu 2004” in a seminar organized by Faculty of Law Pakuan University Bogor, August 2004.
· “The Role of New Generation in The Asia Pacific Region” in a Conference organized by IRINYI , Hotel Borobudur Jakarta September 2004.
· “Evaluasi Politik Akhir Tahun”, in a seminar organized by Yayasan Paramadina 21 Desember 2006.
· ”Mampukah Orang Muda Memimpin Jakarta?” organized by The Lead Institute, Universitas Paramadina 27 Januari 2007
· “Konsolidasi Demokrasi di Indonesia : Demokrasi Semu di Wilayah Abu-abu”, in a public discussion organized by Forum Muda Paramadina February 2007
· “Pesantren dan Resolusi Konflik di Indonesia”, in a seminar organized by Kantata Research Indonesia Jakarta 10 March 2007
· “61 Tahun Pemilu dan Parlemen di Indonesia”, in a seminar organized by UNDP and Lembaga Kajian Pembangunan Nasional, University of Indonesia, 14 March 2007.
· “Konsolidasi Demokrasi, Politik Identitas dan Integrasi Nasional”, in a seminar organized by Pusat Studi Islam dan kemasyarakatan (PSIK) Paramadina, Uhamka 21 March 2007.
· “Isu Intermestik dan Politik Luar Negeri”in a seminar, “Resolusi 1747 DK PBB dan Interpelasi DPR RI”, organized by Department of International Relations, Paramadina University, Jakarta 11 April 2007.
· “Tragedi Lumpur Sidoarjo dan Kepemimpinan Politik”, in seminar “Tragedi Lumpur Sidoarjo”, organized by The Lead Institute, Jakarta 30 April 2007.
· “Pemimpin dan Reformasi Birokrasi”, in a Press Conference organized by the Lead Institute dan IndoBarometer, Jakarta, 23 April 2007.
· “Pemimpin Visioner: Harapan Publik Indonesia tentang Kepemimpinan Nasional”, a press conference on the result of the national survey conducted by the Lead Institute dan Indobarometer, 15 June 2007.
· “Pilkada, Parpol dan Demokratisasi”, in a seminar organized by Kelompok Pemuda dan Mahasiswa untuk Demokrasi (KPMD), Bekasi 8 August 2007.
· Political Parties & Factionalism; a paper presented at the Department of Asian Studies, Flinders University, October 2002.
· Political Parties & The 2004 Election , a paper presented at the seminar organized by PPIA Melbourne, July 2003
· Islamic Parties & 2004 Election: a paper presented at the Conference on Islam & Democracy, Mount Beauty, Victoria July 2003.
· Political Parties & Factionalism, a paper presented at the Indonesia Council Open Conference, Canberra October 2003.
· The Theater of Politics: Actors, Parties & Democratization in Post-Authoritarian Indonesia, a paper presented at The 2nd Indonesia Next Conference, Canberra 13 May 2005.
· The Institutionalization Dilemma, a paper presented at the ASAA Conference 27 June 2006, University of Wolongong.
· Old Wine in a New Bottle: Factionalism and Democratisation in Golkar Indonesia, a paper presented at the Graduate Forum of Asian Studies, University of Melbourne 28 July 2006.
· The Politics of Party Entreprenuer, a paper presented at the seminar organized by the Indonesian Student Association branch Victoria, Melbourne, 16 August 2006
· The Invisible Hands: Party Leadership in Post-authoritarian Indonesia, a paper presented at the Indonesian Studies Group (ISG), Canberra, 22 August 2006.
· Australia and Indonesia: From Neighbour to Partner, a paper presented at the National President’s Forum, an international conference, organized by the Australian Institute for International Affair (AIIA), Brisbane June 2007
I have participated in numerous workshops and trainings organized by many NGO’s and Universities as trainer, moderator and facilitator which related to the issue of Leadership, political capacity, democratization as well as training for academic purposes. It also included a preparation of relevant module and syllabus.
· “Democracy for Beginners”: Leadership Training for the Association of Muhammadiyah Youth (IRM), Bandung, 1998, (trainer)
· Workshops on “Building a Strong Local Civil Society: held by Parahyangan Centre for International Studies, in cooperation with the British Council, October 2000. (facilitator)
· “Students and Politics”, leadership training for the Indonesian Student Association of Australia, 2002-2006, (trainer).
· “Beyond Elections: Islam and Political Parties in Southeast Asia, a regional congress of Democrats from the Islamic World, organized by the National Democratic Institute (NDI) and Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (KAS), September 6-9, 2005 (moderator).
· “It’s a PhD not a Nobel Prize!, academic training for writing dissertation, Paramadina University 2006 (trainer).
· “Domestic Politics and Foreign Policy,” a compulsory course for middle level diplomat, Department of Foreign Affair, Republic Indonesia, 2007 (trainer)
· The Problem of Party Financing in Indonesia”, stakeholders and expert meetings, workshops organized by Partnership for Governance Reform (facilitator).
· Muslim Women in Politics, a sub regional conference organized by FES and Lead Institute, Jakarta 29-31 May 2007 (moderator, organizer and facilitator)
· “Problematika Partai Politik”, a leadership training organized by Islamic Student Association (PB HMI), June 2 2007
· “Party System and Election”, Political Capacity Building for party activists, NGO’s and mass organization in Banda Aceh, August 19 2007. Organized by DEMOS (trainer)
· “Political Communication”, Political Capacity Building for party activists, NGO’s and mass organization in Banda Aceh, August 20, 2007. Organized by DEMOS (trainer).
· “Indonesian Foreign Policy towards the Settlement of Disputes in South China Sea , Graduate thesis, Parahyangan University 1996.
· “The Indonesian Students Movements in 1998 (Research project/ Minor Thesis for master degree, Monash University 1998).
· “The Disintegration of Indonesia: Challenge and Possibility, research paper at the Department of Development Studies, Monash University March-June 1997
· “Indonesia in Transition: A Strong Civil Society or Disunity. research paper at the Department of Development Studies, Monash University August – November 1997
· “Islam, State & Society in Indonesia’s New Order. Research Paper at the Department of Development Studies, Monash University, March-June 1998.
· “The Principle of non-interference in domestic affairs: Reason for the Flexible engagement and the impact of the Possible Flexibility on the Longevity of Asean”, a joint research with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Republic of Indonesia. 1998
· “Anticipating The United States’ Hegemony in Asia: Indonesia’s Respond, a joint research with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Republic of Indonesia 1998
· “Menggagas Ulang Lembaga Kepresidenan”, Research Project, Centre for Presidential and Parliamentary Studies (CPPS) Paramadina, funded by Partnership and Governance Reform UNDP, 2001-2002.
· “The Analysis of Campaign Method for Individual Candidates in 2004 Election”, completed in November 2004.
· “Business and Politics in 2004 election”, Individual Research Project, 2005.
· Beyond Formal Politics: Party Factionalism and Leadership in Post-Authoritarian Indonesia, dissertation for PhD degree, The Australian National University 2006
· Countries at Cross Road 2006, Freedom House Annual Report, Country Report for Indonesia (as a research assistant for Dr Edward Aspinal).
· “The Analysis of District Magnitude in 2004 Election and its Impact to Party’s Electoral strength in 2009 election”, February-June 2007.
· “The Performance of the Directorate of Public Diplomacy, Department of Foreign Affair”, ongoing Research Project since September 2007
· “Quo Vadis Pemuda Indonesia, PPIA Magazine, Melbourne June 1997
· “Masalah Narkoba di Kota Bandung“, Pikiran Rakyat, May 2000
· “Kontroversi Pemilu Amerika, Pikiran Rakyat, 16 November 2000
· “Menuju Institutionalisasi Politik” Kompas 11 January 2001
· “Dimensi Internasional Institusionalisasi Politik Domestik” Kompas 29 January 2002.
· ”Lima Tahun Reformasi: Masih Adakah Optimisme? www.ppi-australia.org 2002
· “Menyelamatkan Transisi”, Sinar Harapan: January 2002.
· “Partai Politik dan Faksionalisme, Kompas 13 September 2002.
· “Indonesia, Australia & Tragedi Bali, Sinar Harapan 16 Oktober 2002
· “Mengamati Aksi ASIO”, Sinar Harapan 6 November 2002
· “Partai Politik dan Hukum Besi Oligarki” Republika September 2003.
· “Amien Rais, Mau Kemana ? ‘Koran Tempo 19/08/04.
· ‘Paradoks Demokrasi Indonesia’ www.ppi-australia.org 2005
· ”Karikatur Politik dan Politik Karikatur’ , Republika 06/04/06
· ‘Rekontekstualisasi Partai-partai Islam’, ABADI Januari 2007.
· ‘Dilema Proporsional Terbuka Murni’, Harian Jurnal Nasional 8 Maret 2007
· ‘Konsolidasi Demokrasi’, Media Indonesia, 9 April 2007.
· ‘Indonesia and Australia : Towards a Better Ties’ , the Jakarta Post July 12 2007
· “Nationalisme: Antara Universalisme and Partikularisme, Journal Universitas Paramadina Agustus 2001.
· “ Demokratisasi Diplomacy, Journal Universitas Paramadina.
· “Amandemen UUD 1945” : ANALISIS CSIS, 2002.
· ‘Political Bussiness’ Inside Indonesia Magazine July 2006.
· Pengantar pada buku Berpijak Diatas Bara, Kegamangan Politik TNI di Masa Transisi, oleh Muradi, 2005, Unpad Press.
· “Kepemimpinan Politik dalam Tragedi Lumpur Sidoarjo” dalam buku, “Lumpur Panas Sidoarjo, Kerikil dalam Sepatu SBY-Kalla, Muradi dkk, Pusat Studi Keamanan Nasional Universitas Padjajaran 2007
· Kompas 23 Desember 2006, Sosok dan Pemikiran, Bima Arya Sugiarto: Partai Politik Gagal lahirkan Tokoh Nasional
· Tablod PARLE, No 102, 20-27 Agustus 2007, Laporan Utama: Kunjungan Shinzo Abe Sangat Strategis.
· www.perspektifbaru.com Edisi 577 2 April 2007, Bima Arya Sugiarto: Parpol Harus Perbaiki Diri